Sunday 12 August 2012

The Mists of Avalon...

… has risen high in my consciousness again. This is partly because I realise how apposite a metaphor its socio-spiritual platform is for my current state of mind and mode of life, but also because I believe it to be an important book. I would recommend the Wikipedia article here, and also feel inclined to quote something Marion Bradley said about the writing of it:

‘So when women today insist on speaking of Goddess rather than God, they are simply rejecting the old man with the white beard, who commanded the Hebrews to commit genocide on the Philistines and required his worshippers daily to thank God that He had not made them women... And, I suppose, a little, the purpose of the book was to express my dismay at the way in which religion lets itself become the slave of politics and the state. (Malory's problem ... that God may not be on the side of the right, but that organized religion always professes itself to be on the side of the bigger guns.) ... I think the neo-pagan movement offers a very viable alternative for people, especially for women, who have been turned off by the abuses of Judeo-Christian organized religions.’

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

It is an important book. I made my annual attempt to read it last summer but didn't make it... i should try again soon.

JJ said...

You were a bit busy last summer, weren't you? Mel borrowed my copy today.

andrea kiss said...

Yes, haha. I had such a hard time concentrating on reading and even watching movies. I still haven't fully recovered from 'pregnancy brain.' I went from always reading... reading a book, finishing it, and starting another to starting a book and rarely finishing it. I mostly read short stories now.

JJ said...

I suppose becoming a mother must have a profound effect on a woman's way of life. More than that, it must change who she is. No doubt that's why some women (and men to a lesser extent) fail badly at motherhood. They just can't - or won't - make the transition.