Saturday 4 August 2012

Me Again...

It seems I’m becoming ever more the observer and ever less the connector. I find nearly every bastion of the received western lifestyle boring or meaningless now. Off the top of my head, I can think of only three things that I can enthusiastically connect with: the interchange of energy between people, understanding and communing with the deeper reality of the natural world, and music. Even art pretty much leaves me cold these days, and philosophy deserves a paragraph to itself.

Philosophers have been throwing their ideas around for thousands of years, but in the final analysis it’s just so much hot air. There’s never anything provable or even definitive. Which doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it, of course; I do it myself, and that’s the point. If nothing is provable, why bother to listen? Why not formulate and endlessly adjust my own philosophy and stick with it? Truth must surely be a personal thing and found somewhere deep inside, and as long as I don’t force my philosophy on anybody else, there’s no harm done. I suppose that gives the hint as to why I find organised religion an even greater turn off than shopping malls and candyfloss culture. It’s too much given to imprisoning people within a belief system that has somehow become doctrinal. But maybe that’s what most people want, or even need.

I don’t, which I suppose makes me definitely not a party animal.

4 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I suppose philosophy in it's best form will open discussion and provoke minds into thinking. My problem with philosophy is it's verbosity.
Connecting with the deeper reality of the natural world, gives that much needed space to feel and experience profound inspiration. It gives me a heart sigh!
On this note, I will leave peacefully and not start pondering organised religion...

JJ said...

I suppose so, but I still prefer the idea of starting afresh with my own observations. And we only die in the end anyway.

I'm afraid there's another post on organised religion. I posted it just after you left.

Anthropomorphica said...

Me too, but I do also like to read others at times, or I get set in my ways!
Beastly JB, I won't be able to resist reading that!

JJ said...

Ah, but you don't get set in your ways, because you keep changing every time you discover that you no longer believe what you did yesterday.

Not that I'm suggesting you should change your ways and stop reading other philosophers, Mel. Not at all. Ha ha.