Monday 27 August 2012

Rescuing Spatially Displaced Earthworms.

There was an earthworm crawling across my office floor tonight, on the quarry tile part. It left a trail of wetness in its wake, but the odd thing was that the trail started in the middle of the floor. It didn’t start at any point where the worm could have gained access. It was as though it just materialised out of nowhere. That happens to me quite a lot.

What I subsequently discovered was that it isn’t at all easy to pick an earthworm off quarry tiles. You can’t get your fingers underneath it. I had to resort to picking it up with a letter knife and placing it in my hand, at which point it relaxed and stopped wriggling for some reason. Maybe it sensed that it was about to be released into the cool night air on some cool, damp soil.

I’m sure the Lady B would have been pleased, had she not left me to return to Timbuktu, taking the black velvet band with her.

No comments: