Tuesday 7 August 2012

Little Local Strange Things.

When I watch the bats flying at dusk, they always appear out of the dark background of a tree, flit across the light part of the sky in silhouette, and then disappear against the dark background of another tree or the hedgerow. I was waiting for them tonight when what appeared to be a bat materialised (for want of a better way of putting it) against the bright sky, turned around once, and then de-materialised (for want of a better way of putting it) again. It didn’t come from anywhere, and it didn’t go anywhere. It really was the strangest thing.

*  *  *

I was walking along Church Lane this afternoon when I heard a loud, irregular knocking sound coming from the bottom of a drainage ditch. I couldn’t see what it was because the ditch was covered with heavy, late summer growth, but the only thing I’ve ever heard like it was the sound of a woodpecker making a nest hole in a tree. Only this wasn’t in a tree, it was at the bottom of a drainage ditch.

*  *  *

And there’s an unpleasant smell in Bag Lane. It smells like an open sewer, and is strongest just where the woman with the fancy black cars lives – the one who never seems to leave her property unless she’s in one of them. I don’t suppose there’s a connection, but you never know.

No comments: