Sunday 19 August 2012

Country Life Minutiae.

The sun has just set and I’m leaning on the gate to one of Sam’s fields, when I hear a vehicle coming along the track through the wood. It’s Sam’s pickup truck.

‘Evening, Jeff.’

‘Hello, there.’

‘Have you seen any lambs wandering about? I think I’ve lost a couple.’

‘No, sorry.’

‘Oh, OK.’

Sam drives away again.

Sam has another field which straddles the junction between Lid Lane and Green Lane, and when I lean on that gate, one of Ange’s horses (Ange being Mrs Sam) has developed the habit of appearing suddenly, and seemingly magically, from the direction I just happened not to be looking in. He’s a very splendid fellow, and gets lots of nose stroking and neck patting. And then he wanders away again when he’s had enough.

It’s the little details that go together to make the big picture, and I have to say it’s a rather nice picture.

No comments: