Friday 10 August 2012

A Self-Professed Legend.

Usain Bolt has become the first man to win two Olympic sprint doubles, so now he’s telling the world ‘I am the greatest athlete ever. I am a living legend.’

I, I, I... Well, let’s put this into context. The sprint events are just one corner of athletics, athletics are just one corner of sport, and sport is just one corner of the myriad activities that make up the totality of human endeavour. Mr Bolt can run faster than anybody else and he has an ego to match, but that’s all. I feel inclined to send him a message in the hope that the trickle of a potential brain cell in his much-vaunted form might be turned into a full blown drip:

‘I grant that you are the best person in the world at what you do, Mr Bolt, but so are lots of people. I grant that you have worked hard to get where you are, but please remember that there are millions of unknown, unrecognised poor people around the world who work grindingly long hours just to keep themselves one pace beyond the starvation line.

You are no sort of legend. If you were to use your celebrity status and undoubted wealth to improve the lives of suffering people who work a lot harder than you do – often taking far greater risks in the process – you might be getting close. But not until.’

6 comments:

Wendy S. said...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Jeff!

JJ said...

Thank you, Wendy. I felt similarly about Muhammed Ali at one time, but at least he had a twinkle in his eye. I swear this man Bolt really believes he's a demi-god. Should I care? Probably not.

andrea kiss said...

Yes, very well said.

JJ said...

I remember a famous NY Yankees pitcher being interviewed before a World Series. He was asked whether appearing before millions on the TV made him nervous. He said something like 'Hell, no. This is just fun. Leaving my family behind in Cuba made me nervous.'

Proper perspectives, I think.

andrea kiss said...

Yes, i like that sort.

There is an NFL football player named Chad Johnson, aka Ocho Cinco, who has been fined several times for the funny stunts he pulls after touch downs or the pranks and jokes he makes on the sidelines, etc. I think he's toned it down a bit in recent years but back when he was in full swing i loved to watch him play because he was so funny! So many people couldn't stand him though and called him a show boat and attention hog and egotistical but i saw him as more of a cheer leader for his team and someone who was keeping the games fun and lively.

Last night after a game he stated that he was going to go home and get arrested and everyone thought it was another joke and laughed it off... but then he went home and was arrested! Not sure for what but i'm hoping it isn't anything bad because i really like the guy and don't want to be disappointed.

JJ said...

Fingers crossed. Sport should be fun first and foremost, in my opinion.