Saturday 25 August 2012

Like a Rolling Stone...

The sun is shining on Saturday, for some reason. And I had an uninterrupted night’s sleep, for some reason. No being woken by head pain, shoulder pain, anxiety, or bad dreams about beautiful women. Or all four, as happened the previous night.

Many years ago I was led to ask myself whether it’s possible to be both devastatingly depressed and insanely anxious at the same time. It is. Now I’m being led to ask whether it’s possible to feel both empty and perpetually troubled at the same time. Being self-taught has its merits.

The present concern is whether to get on with the many jobs on hand, or rest the shoulder for another day in the hope of banishing the affliction. The trouble with forced inactivity (in my case at least) is that it often leads the mind into fruitless and frustrating thought processes, endless blind alleys that lead you anywhere but somewhere.

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I'm a really bad self-motivator when I'm in pain or tired and that's when I realize I need to nurture myself instead of pushing past the pain. Not only do you sound like you're in pain but you beat yourself up too when you need to rest more. There has to be a compromise where you can still fill the need to be active in a gentle way, Jeff.

JJ said...

Problems here, Wendy. Firstly, I've never really known how to nurture myself. Secondly, it seems to me that rest is as much a mental process as a physical one. I've never really known how to do that, either. Thirdly, if you're right handed, what gentle activities are there that don't go through your right shoulder? I think I'm a lost cause.