Saturday 23 October 2010

The World's Best Drink.

You know I like scotch, right? Well, hear this.

I just got myself a mug of hot chocolate. It came out of a jar, and required little work other than a lot of stirring to prevent it going lumpy. It tastes OK, but it’s nothing like the real stuff that used to get served up in the Royal Navy.

It started as a block of rock-hard, solid chocolate that had to be scraped and scraped laboriously for a long time before there was enough to make even a single drink. But then it melted quickly and smoothly when boiling water was poured over it. And when somebody brings you a big steaming mug of it after you’ve spent two hours standing on the bridge wings of a frigate, being lashed by stinging force 11 winds and continuously soaked by freezing rain and spray, there isn’t a drink in the world to touch it. Not even 25-year-old Talisker malt.

7 comments:

Nuutj said...

I had similar memory....This post reminds me of a cup of hot coffee held and sipped when I was almost frozen after walking for hours on Christmas Day in London. It felt soooo good.

JJ said...

Christmas Day is an odd day to be walking for hours in London, Mei-shan. were you lost?

Zz... said...

Cos I am fussy about my good I went to this designer cupcakery and asked for a hot chocolate but they only did iced chocolate so anyway since it was not busy the girl kindly spent 15 minutes making me one specially using their REAL chocolate and pure milk- it was the best custom drink I had in a cafe for a looong time, usually I don't get such custom fussiness indulged.

JJ said...

'Designer cupcakery?' I don't think we have such things here. Seems you have either the power of persuasion or the ability to look in need of some TLC, Zhen. Or both.

Nuutj said...

No...I was on vacation. There was no bus or tube. Instead of staying at the hotel, my husband and I decided to walk from Waterloo Station to London Eye, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Saint James' Park, Trafalgar Square, back to Waterloo and walked the other route to Tower Bridge. It was a long day.

Maria Sondule said...

I love hot chocolate! Thank goodness they sell it at school, otherwise my hands get freezing and turn purple.

JJ said...

That was a very long walk, Mei-shan. I did a lot of walking around central London when I was touting my portfolio, and I became convinced that the paving slabs were harder there than anywhere else.

Honestly, Maria! Hot chocolate at school? At my school we were given a free glass of water at lunchtime. That was the only drink available. Kids today...

And is it really that cold in your school?