Monday 11 October 2010

Reflection.

Tonight I looked at the most recent post on a blog I haven’t accessed for several weeks. It purports to be fiction, but one line gave the lie to that. It came as no revelation to me, but rather seemed a confirmation. It accorded well with an impression I’d already formed of the author, and vindicated my choice to put distance between us.

But then I considered my reaction in the light of an oft-claimed truism: that the things we find most distasteful and disturbing in others are things we recognise, and maybe even celebrate, in ourselves. If that really is true, it means I’m being unfair. More than that, it means I’m being hypocritical. And so I felt compelled, for my own sake, to attempt some adjustment of my attitude.

The distance remains, however. I’m much more tolerant of my imperfections these days.

No comments: