Sunday 24 October 2010

Sarah, Sarah, No One Fairer.

Talking about girls from this or the next village, I have to say another word about Sarah who lives on Mill Lane. She of the fearsome mother. That Sarah. I’ve mentioned her before, in case anybody hadn’t noticed.

I realised tonight that one of the things that makes her so damned appealing is that she isn’t sexy. She’s beyond sexy. Her beauty is so subtle as to be transcendental. And I’m sure she doesn’t know it. I don’t think I’ve ever known anybody quite like Sarah.

Strange, but true.

I’m so glad we never bump into one another these days. We conduct our perambulations at different times of the day. I miss her dog, though.

Time to get plastered before bed. I can only claim transparency in my defence.

Helen said the other day that I’m starting to talk like an artist. I really must ask her what she meant. Boozy Dylan Thomas or Damien 'Designer-Specs' Hirst? This is important.

Actually, it isn’t. My ego is showing. Bugger!

6 comments:

Zz... said...

What are your impressions of the name Sarah? I asked my friends recently for suggestions of a christian name and my mate said "Sarah" I thought it was the crappiest suggestion I had ever heard...however noone else could come up with anything specific -they just suggested something uncommon and not overly feminine.

JJ said...

I think it largely comes down to culture and association. I like the name Sarah, and I like most of the other classic Jewish names. I'm also oddly fond of the name Alice, even though it's associated with a much older generation in Britain. I think my favourite, though, is the Irish Aisling (pron 'Ashling.')

Zz... said...

yes but what does it mean if people say you look like a Sarah?? What qualities does that name embody?

I like Alice, people called Alice are always good natured and kindly in my experience. In fact I tend to always be friends with people with certain names like Alice and not with people with other certain names. YOu will notice that most humans have this especially when it comes down to negotiating baby names...

JJ said...

I know. I've had a similar experience. I've found, for example, that all the Helens I've known have been kind, good natured people. So, I thought about the Sarahs I've known. Three sprang immediately to mind, and they were were all very different. One was gentle and retiring, one was a high energy seductress, and the other was just about the most anal person I've ever known - totally locked into convention and terrified of original thought! The one quality common to all three was that they were very 'feminine.' Yet still I see Sarahs as gentle extroverts with much passive strength. Forgot one, though. For me, the name that carries the greatest feminine strangth and wisdom is Abigail.

Zz... said...

that's it I'm so not a Sarah-thanks for confirming!

JJ said...

You're not feminine, then? How about Tiger Lily - Tigger for short? Ha!