Saturday 9 October 2010

Teenagers.

Apparently, there is a respectable body of opinion which believes that adolescence is the normal human state, and that we go downhill when we enter adulthood. It seems that teenagers think differently than adults and perceive the world differently, not just in a cultural sense but a neurological one. Unfortunately, the source I got that from didn’t offer a definition of ‘normal.’ Nevertheless, having decided that I am becoming more adolescent than ever I was in my teens, the theory has some appeal.

4 comments:

Carmen said...

I never knew you in your teens, though you sound fairly adolescent to me! What were you like in your adolescence?

JJ said...

Carmen, your intuition is impeccable today. What was I like in my adolescence? Rather more middle aged than I am now. I hadn't yet stepped outside the tram lines and looked back in, you see.

Thank you for hanging in there. It means something to me.

Carmen said...

hahahahaha. i feel slightly middle aged right now. Just a little. I'm going to turn out like you Jeff hahaha.
Is it your curiosity that drives you out of the tram lines?

JJ said...

You're way ahead of where I was at your age, Carms. That's what I find so surprising about the 'higher' end of today's young people.

Curiosity, yes, but also a sense that they're hiding the bigger picture. No doubt a tram line psychologist would call that delusional, and maybe he would be right. I know nothing. And yet the sense that the bigger picture exists is persistent and becoming stronger. And, my God, does it look VERY BIG indeed.