Friday 29 October 2010

Being Closeted.

I’ve had one of those useful days today. I knuckled down and did lots of small jobs that I’d been putting off for ages.

But it’s dark now; it’s been dark for hours. All the jobs are done and I’ve been trying to write a blog post. It was an amusing anecdote, but it wasn’t coming out right. I can’t divest myself of the opinion that nobody would be remotely interested in anything I have to say. I take it I’m not alone in feeling that way sometimes.

Meanwhile, the wind is howling around the house and something keeps tapping on the door. Since it isn’t Halloween yet, I assume it’s just falling leaves. I keep thinking that it would be nice to have some company, but I’m a great believer in that old saying ‘be careful what you wish for.’ Who knows what company I might attract in a place like this and at this time of year? And although I believe it is possible to draw to us things we want by the power of wish and will, I also fear that we have no control over the means by which we get them.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

If you hear someone whispering "Heathcliff" as the wind beckons to you to come outside, be careful Jeff... ;)

JJ said...

'You say I killed you. Haunt me then!'

Oh, yes. Hello Wendy, nice to see you. Goodnight - for now.

Is that you in the profile pic, by the way?

Anthropomorphica said...

Yes, be careful! I sometimes wish for company until half an hour into company when I start thinking of other things I suddenly wish to do ;)

JJ said...

I'm a bit like that, but if the person stays long enough to go through the intolerance barrier, I miss them when they've gone.

Must remember to bring a stopwatch if ever I come to tea.

Anthropomorphica said...

:) I know what you mean!
I promise to lift the curfew for you as it's such a long way ;)

JJ said...

Oh thank you. Mel. Any chance of an alternative to tea?

Anthropomorphica said...

Aye, I'm sure I can find something suitably warming :)