Tuesday 19 October 2010

What's in a Name. 2

According to Google stats, somebody in China read my story Mr Grimshaw last night. Having people read my stories is a source of some pleasure to me, and it must be obvious by now that I have a special interest in China and old Chinese culture. Nevertheless, I can’t imagine that a native Chinese person, however good their command of English, would grasp the nuance contained within the name ‘Albert Grimshaw’ at all well. That’s a shame because it means there’s a layer of perception, however small, missing. So then I came to wonder what would happen if the story were ever to be translated into one of the Chinese languages. Is there a Chinese equivalent of Albert Grimshaw?

And while I’m on the subject of stats, it appears that my ‘best selling’ blog post of all time is ‘Rule by Numbers: the BMI Story’ with thirty nine page views. I wonder why.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Hmm I'll have to read that.
Body issues always interest me, probably because I'm a teenage girl who has to deal with them in extreme amounts.

JJ said...

I have body issues too, Maria. Yes indeed. Want to know what? No. of course you don't.