Saturday 23 October 2010

The Playlist.

Listening to a person’s playlist is most illuminating. Each track they choose to put on it effectively says ‘this is a bit of who I am, or at least how I see myself.’ I suppose that means there’s something fundamentally egotistical about having a playlist at all. In my case, it also gives me something to listen to while I’m writing blog posts.

Tonight I’m flitting between Music for a Found Harmonium, and Davy Spillane’s Midnight Walker. In saying as much, I find that I can’t help making light of it. It occurs to me that I should go and hang around Sarah’s house on Mill Lane and become a Midnight Stalker.

I won’t, of course; I’m too wary of her mother. I saw her mother in the town the other day. She has a most masculine stride. Invoking her Id would be a matter of some concern to a sensitive guy like me.

7 comments:

lucy said...

Haha, yes, I guess music players are like that, aren't they? They tell people a little more about who they are, and what they're *made* of it, in a sense.

Sorry I haven't been commenting much. I'll try to make up for it in the future.

Nuutj said...

I am inspired to post my own playlist. I am becoming egoistic.....Again....Isn't posting hundreds of posts about myself egoistic ? Sorry for not aswering cleverly. I admit my thoughts are not so deep :D :D

JJ said...

Lucy: Nothing to make up for. You're a lot busier than I am. Year 12 sounds horrific. Just say hello when you've got the time. Your playlist is rather nice, by the way.

Mei-shan: What's with all these apologies today? Thoughts are just thoughts - and welcome. The way I see it, we don't get rid of ego by pretending it isn't there. It either takes lifetimes of work, or it comes in a flash when people aren't expecting it. Having decided that, I've become comfortable with my ego, but see it for what it is. And I haven't seen a blog yet that isn't ego-based, mine included.

Maria Sondule said...

I don't know if I agree. The playlist hypothesis only applies if someone really cares about the music they pick. Of course they like it, but maybe its not for as deep a reason as you assume.

JJ said...

Must be just me then, Maria. The tracks on mine are all snapshots of the world I inhabit. Maybe that makes me a super-egoist.

Zz... said...

What is a super-egoist? Is it the same as a Narcissist? I usually call myself the latter but maybe I am unnescessarily giving myself bad press, lol

My good girlfriend often gives me the eye roll- but where is the line between narcissism and self confidence and appreciation?-LOL!

JJ said...

I was using the term in its conventional sense, not the Freudian one. My Freudian super-ego is trying to get rid of my conventional one. Confusing sometimes. And yes, where do you draw the line? Don't know - yet. Must think about that one.