Sunday 31 October 2010

Rites of Passage.

Somebody recently commented that I should feel freer to make reference to ‘intimate details’ in my blog. All right then, I remembered this tonight.

Back when I was a teenager, my mother was trying to give me a lecture on the dangers of adolescence. She’d spotted a ‘weakness’ in my nature, you see. (It shouldn’t have surprised her, since the same weakness was evident on both sides of my parentage. Can’t be held responsible for my genes, can I?) She wasn’t very good at that sort of thing – too reserved – and so she had to wrap it up in cryptic language while struggling to be sure that the meaning was clear. I just found the whole thing excruciatingly embarrassing! She used a phrase that used to be common in Britain: ‘There’s many a slip twixt cup and lip.’ It’s used to refer to unplanned pregnancies, of course, and I remember being quite horrified. Disturbed, even. I didn’t know mothers said things like that, and what illusions I’d held on the purity of motherhood disappeared forever.

It wasn’t the only illusion to be shattered on the road to being where I am now, however. Can you believe that I was twenty eight before I knew that women shaved their legs? The first two live-ins had always done it in private. I suppose they must have hidden their razors too, because I don’t recall ever seeing a second one in the bathroom.

And I was the ripe old age of fifteen before I discovered that women’s breasts don’t have bones in them. Imagine that these days! I think my surprise at the sight of the supine young woman before me must have showed on that occasion, since I recall a reference being made to pancakes. She was older than me, and evidently disposed to take pity.

‘I wouldn’t go any further, lad,’ she said soothingly. ‘The other bit looks like a pig with its throat cut.’

How romantic! She was from Wigan, though, so maybe that explains it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe this post was on account of me?

I do find it interesting you only learned at the ripe age of 28 that women shaved their legs - seeing as we're intimate, I wonder where the boundaries are. I'm assuming you had slept with women before this age, and so even if you didn't see them shaving, didn't you feel it? The soft, silky skin of their legs wrapped around or pressed against yours?

As for the pig part, an astute and amusing yet invalid answer. It still holds fascination for so many therefore I guess it doesn't really matter if you can place certain appendages in it.

Maybe that also goes to show how odd the primal urges of humans are.

JJ said...

You had me going there for a minute! Thought you might be my ex-wife, or something. But yes, I see now. It was in response to the 'Anonymous' who chided me for my toilet roll holder joke.

As regards the leg shaving, yes of course I'd slept with several women before I was 28. The point I was making was that I'd always thought smooth legs came naturally. I hadn't realised they had to be worked on.

And the pig part: the young woman from Wigan really did say that. I thought it amusing at the time, and I still do. I took her advice, by the way. And, be honest, some of them really do look like that. The nicer ones.

More to the point:

WHO ARE YOU?

Anonymous said...

But it's more interesting this way, don't you think?

JJ said...

Interesting? Intriguing, certainly. Mysterious. Maybe a little frightening (I had recurrent dreams about a mad woman when I was a kid. She lived in a tower and couldn't get at me, until...) So yes, interesting.