Monday 25 October 2010

Opposites and Corollaries.

People occasionally say ‘I’m happy to be alive.’

It’s a nice thing to say. It’s an affirmation of life and a way of saying that they feel good. Nevertheless, it still interests me that the opposite would be:

‘I’m unhappy to be alive,’ which is another way of saying ‘I wish I were dead.’

Whereas the corollary would be:

‘I would be unhappy if I weren’t alive.’

I’m playing with semantics, aren’t I? Best open a beer and get sensible (the scotch comes later.)

4 comments:

Zz... said...

you'd be so fun to play scrabble with!

JJ said...

How interesting, because this sort of contradicts an earlier post. Helen and I used to play Scrabble a lot, and what was interesting is that neither of us tried to win. We both tried to manipulate one another's opportunities to get the highest combined score. Spirit of cooperation!

Zz... said...

wow that's uncompetitive(sounds like me) i remember as a kid we used to try to get over 500 combined, lol

JJ said...

I try to look beyond competitive, Zhen. Doesn't always work, though, especially in certain areas.