Thursday 21 October 2010

Translating West Yorkshire.

According to Google stats (yes, I know; why doesn’t he shut up about bloody stats? Because I like them.) So anyway, according to the aforesaid, two people read my article on Cathy and Heathcliff last night – one from Pakistan and one from Venezuela. How strange. I would have thought that Wuthering Heights would be too culturally removed to be of any interest to people from Pakistan or Venezuela. I can only assume they ignored Joseph completely. Even the English have difficulty understanding a word of what he says. Charlotte Bronte’s revision smoothed out his dialect, but he’s just about incomprehensible in Emily’s original.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh, what did I miss?
Found a book form 1929 called Yorkshire Hill Folk about my home town, full of plenty of the same it was ;)

JJ said...

So how much more difficult must it have been in 1847?

So where is your home town? I keep thinking Skipton, but that's in North Yorkshire.