Monday 18 October 2010

Building the Barricades.

Angela Merkel has gone public with the ‘opinion’ that multiculturalism has proved a complete failure in Germany. Coincidentally (!) national opinion polls indicate that 30% of Germans believe the country is now ‘overrun with foreigners.’

Should I make a post about this? Should I explain why I think the whole thing is riddled with hypocrisy, xenophobia and the politicians’ practice of blindly pandering to public opinion? Where would I start? The mentality that brought about the Third Reich? The reasons for expanding the European Union? The legacy of Western European imperialism? Should I ramble on about the human tendency to take without giving back, the incomprehensible fantasy of racial purity, or the highly dubious notion that it should matter even if it did exist?

It would be a long and complex post, I think - and I’m tired. So probably not. I think I’ll make do with casting those few seeds.

Meanwhile, on an altogether more wholesome level, I was so glad to see the Indian flag appear again after a long absence. If that was you, Dominique, I missed you.

No comments: