Tuesday 7 February 2012

Two Unrelated Notes.

I discovered tonight that pulling funny faces in the mirror can cause a bit of a shock. It’s possible to spot a side to your nature that crept up unawares while you were still perceiving yourself to be young, normal and presentable.

Then again, it could have something to do with the fact that the full moon is shining through my bedroom window and onto my bed at the moment. I seem to be looking backwards a lot today.

---------------------------------------

I'm not sure that I place high intelligence far up the list of desirable qualities. It's good as an added bonus, I suppose, but there are others I consider more important - like compassion, kindness, courage and a mind open to all possibilities. What I find so impressive about Albert Einstein isn't his massive intellect, but his humanity and his search for truth wherever it might be found. Three of my favourite Einstein quotations:  

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions that differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. 

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think intelligence is a vital asset to ones personality! In my opinion intelligence comes in many different forms and without it I don't think you can have any of your other mentioned qualities! Is what I mean, is that you don't have to know the capital of each country, or a top surgeon to be classed as intelligent. Someone can be compassionately inteligent etc. However to have all stems of intelligence makes someone 'highly inteligent' y

JJ said...

I think I'd better stand corrected. People of my vintage were raised with the narrow definition identified as IQ, and that's what I don't hold in particularly high regard. It is true that 'intelligence' is now defined more widely and seen as having several forms. You're ahead of me on that one.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was napping in front of the fire. It's what comes of wandering the lanes on cold winter nights when you haven't had much sleep. Oh, and being old. I'm surprised you didn't hear my wellies crunching on the icy slush in front of your house earlier.

You've demoted my Y!