Thursday 16 February 2012

On Being Potential Cat Food and an Erstwhile Star.

Tonight’s walk was quite splendid. The sky was clear, the stars unusually bright, and a keen wind was singing in the wires.

Last night’s was spooky, on account of being certain that I’d seen something large, but of indeterminate shape and identity, move into the gateway of the Old Rectory. The first thing I thought about was a little piece of information I picked up from a TV documentary once: that big cats rarely attack people from the front, preferring almost without exception to come at them from behind. That’s a really useful thing to remember when it’s very dark, you’re on your own, and you’ve just seen something large but of indeterminate shape and identity move into the gateway of the Old Rectory. I must have a propensity for remembering useful facts when I perceive myself to be under threat. Oh, well...

The same documentary said that Indian men working in the fields and forests often wear masks on the backs of their heads in an attempt to confuse man-eating tigers. It doesn’t always work, apparently. Sometimes it just gives the tiger a good laugh as well as a good meal.

Tonight’s walk was different. Tonight I stood and looked at the stars. It occurred to me how easy it is to imagine the night sky as a two dimensional canvas with pin holes in it, allowing specks of light to show through from behind. It’s more difficult to perceive the reality of a three dimensional space that stretches for billions upon billions of miles. It’s even difficult to be fully convinced that a star you’re looking at might no longer exist, since you’re seeing the light that came from it many, many years ago. I looked at one star and realised that it might have exploded and died before I was even born. And that gave me an interesting thought.

Suppose stars aren’t really stars at all, but beings in waiting. Suppose they come to earth and have human incarnations after they’ve exploded and died. And suppose the star I was looking at became me, and so I was looking at myself before I died as a star.

That was a nice thought, and rather better than the contemplation of becoming cat food.

No comments: