Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Cold and the Nourishment.

It’s pretty damn cold tonight – way sub-zero, apparently. And my kitchen is unheated, so every decision on whether or not to fetch a scotch triggers a battle between the desire to have a drink and the desire not to walk to the North Pole to get it.

So far, the scotch is winning.

I must remember to ask M’Lady Sal what her favourite music is, and what her favourite smells are. The significance of favourite smells gets a mention in When the Waves Call. Not that I associate Sarah with mysterious marine creatures of the Celtic fringes, you understand*, it’s just that on the odd occasion when we exchange words, they’re usually about me. And that makes me feel bad.

Off to walk to the North Pole now. I might be gone for some time.
~ Captain Oates**.

* If you don't understand, read the damn story!
** No need to point out that Captain Oates died at the other end.

No comments: