Friday 17 February 2012

Should I Compare Thee to a Mug of Cocoa...

I went to Nigel’s garage today to pick up some more of his paperwork.

The drive to his place is a mixed one – four miles of country lanes, followed by about twenty miles of high speed trunk roads, followed by another five miles of dense urban and suburban driving replete with junction after junction. This, as you can imagine, is the world I no longer have much desire to participate in. I can handle it well enough, but I don’t feel at home there these days.

As I was driving through the final bit of the suburban jungle I had a sudden vision of Sarah walking along Mill Lane. And what a calming vision it was. It's all about contrast, of course, and it reminded me of the time when I was on look-out duty on the bridge wings of a frigate in the middle of the Atlantic, being chilled, shaken and soaked by the spray whipped up by a force 11 storm. At about 2 o’clock in the morning, somebody brought me a mug of hot cocoa.

Yup, that was something similar.

Greetings, M’Lady.

No comments: