Friday 10 February 2012

On a Practical Note.

We were forecast to have more heavy snow last night, but it didn’t happen. We did have more sub-zero temperatures, however, and what was interesting was this.

My house was built over a hundred years ago, and they didn’t leave cavities between the brick courses in those days. The paths around the house were wet yesterday evening, and when I went out this morning I found that the parts of the path adjacent to my unheated kitchen and the unheated stairwell were treacherously icy. The part that ran alongside the house adjacent to my heated office was wet, even though there’s about three feet of flower bed between the outside wall of the house and the path.

All of which is a graphic illustration of just how much heat escapes through the wall of a house built of solid brick. My carbon footprint is slipping, along with the other two!

3 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I imagine you living in a beautiful part of England in a lovely old house. A dream.

JJ said...

Right on both counts, Andrea.

andrea kiss said...

:)

And, we're finally having some snow. I could do without it.