Tuesday 21 February 2012

I'm Half Way to Being a Trekkie.

The weather forecaster said last night that the temperature on Thursday is likely to be 16°C and ‘the average for the time of year is only half that at 8°C.’

Well, actually, no; half of 16° isn’t 8°. 16 and 8 are two points close together on a big scale that goes down to absolute zero at approximately -273°C, so half of +16° is actually -128.5°

And then there’s their habit of saying ‘temperatures will be colder at the weekend.’

Well, actually, no; the weather will be colder, but temperatures will be lower. Temperature is a measure of level.

That kind of thing bugs me. It’s sloppy.

Have I lost you yet? Am I becoming a geek? Should I get a life?

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Haha, no I like that you notice these things. I never take time to think about errors in the weather report. Then again, I never watch weather reports. It's always raining here, anyway.

JJ said...

No it isn't. You made it up. I gather William Shatner told those attending a Star Trek fanatics' conference to 'get a life.' Hence the title.