Tuesday 21 February 2012

Getting Underway.

Today was a first for the year so far.

I start lighting my coal fire at around 3.45 - 4pm, and that’s usually it for the day in winter. Once darkness descends during the cold season, all I want to do is settle in front of the computer or the fire. Not so today.

Today I got the fire going and then did another hour’s work in the garden, courtesy of the increasing daylight and the mild weather we’re having at the moment. It was very pleasant to be working outside until the onset of twilight; it brought on the sense of nature’s cycles, and the knowledge that the current trend is up. The back stood up to the task reasonably well, although it’s grumbling at me now.

And now I’m getting the first bits of itching from insect bites. Another first for the year so far.

5 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

It's been warm and springly here too, so nice to have a fire still. Get the hot ginger compress on the back!

JJ said...

I have no ginger, Mel, and Ashbourne is a no-go area until Thursday due to their mad Shrovetide football game.

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh bugger!

Maria Sondule said...

In February? It's great that the weather is so good, but things like that always make me cautious, and I guess more conscious of global warming.

JJ said...

We generally get one spring-like spell in February in Britain. We're set to turn colder again at the weekend.