Saturday 11 February 2012

The Best of Worlds.

No nocturnal ramble for me last night. I was feeling washed up, courtesy of the CFS symptoms. I knew the surface of the lane would be treacherous due to black ice, and that it was the coldest night of the winter to date, so I stayed in by the fire. I felt better tonight, so normal service was resumed.

*  *  *

There’s a major trunk road, the A50, which runs about six miles south of here. It acts as a feeder road for the English North Midlands, and also links the M1 motorway in the east with the M6 in the west. East Midlands Airport is close to the eastern end of it, so you can understand how busy it is night and day.

As I was walking along Mill Lane tonight, I looked over the landscape to the lights of the A50 which can just be seen in the distance. I felt a sudden and deep sense of pleasure and gratitude that I was walking alone in the quiet of natural darkness, with just the trees, the owls and the lying snow for company, and not down there among the frantic, artificial world of Western man.

No comments: