Monday 20 February 2012

A Gap in my Understanding.

I read something in the news about attempts to control child trafficking in the EU. Note those two words, dropped into the middle of a sentence and written without emphasis.

Child trafficking.

The chill they inspire goes round and round in my brain without finding anywhere to rest. There are many dark and difficult aspects of human nature that fill me with horror, but most of them I can understand up to a point. I understand what could drive somebody to be a serial killer or a robber of old ladies. I understand Munchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy. I can understand what might encourage a bunch of teenagers in a town centre to kick the shit out of another teenager. I can even understand that there’s something missing from the brains of people who experiment on animals. Such things might disturb me and drive me to depression or worse, but there’s usually some sort of perverse sense to be made of them.

But child trafficking? That goes beyond me. Maybe this is why I’m still a human being and not a psychologist.

No comments: