Monday 14 November 2011

Picking up the Vibe.

Trawling through the blogger profiles of people who list an interest that accords with mine has become almost a hobby. It’s fascinating to try and pick up a vibe about a person from their profile pic alone. And I’ve noticed certain trends cropping up.

British men, for example, look predominantly either beer swillingly fat and boring, or overly certain of their narrow opinions. Asian men tend to appear self-consciously important. American women are usually either homely and overweight or swathed in plastic glamour. And I’m sure I’m hopelessly wrong in my judgement. A single head shot can give a very false impression of a person.

What might give a more accurate impression is the use of alternative images, rather than personal pictures. I’ve noticed that quite a few women us a kitten as their avi, so what does that say about them?

1) I’m vulnerable. Be careful.

2) I see myself as immature.

3) I’m small but I have claws.

4) I’m convinced I’m unattractive so I’ll use something that people will find sweet.

5) I want you to know I’m a cat person.

6) I want to appear cute, but I’m really a sly, disingenuous little creep who’ll take whatever you’re soft enough to give but won’t really offer anything in return except pretence. (Kittens don’t fool me.)

I think I might just have offended a lot of Brits, Asians, Americans and cat lovers.

On a completely unrelated note, it surprises me how disinclined I am to indulge in nostalgia these days. Don’t know where that came from.

I have several reasons to be in a bad mood. Serious ones.

Night.

4 comments:

Nuutj said...

I use cat pic as profile pic on Facebook. I use it because I heard rumours about privacy violation there. So instead of showing my real face, I use my real name but show myself as a cat. For the cat is mine and no matter what I appear there, people who know my name still recognize me. (and I am a cat person.)

The cat on my profile is male. It looked so relaxed in it. I think I am relaxed like that.

JJ said...

Cats are beautiful creatures, Mei-shan. I don't have a problem with people using them as profile pics. I don't even have anything against kittens. I remember someone very dear to me once telling me that she had gone to a rescue centre to cuddle kittens in order to boost her depleted self-esteem. That sort of thing opens my heart, you know. I'm a sucker for the little things.

This post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It was just me stretching my mind sideways in order to put some distance between me and the several reasons to be in a bad mood.

Nuutj said...

It looks like I am too shallow to get your mood. I tend to take words as they are. :)

I am not offended. I guess, I want to participate, express my ego and let you know that I still read your posts. (though most of the time, I get them wrong.)

JJ said...

It isn't shallowness, Mei-shan. I do tend to express myself idiosyncratically, and often cryptically. Even people to whom English is a first language have difficulty picking up my mood, so please don't take offence. Certainly, none was meant.