Thursday 17 November 2011

A Cautionary Tale, Maybe.

I’ve been out all day today, and you wouldn’t want a commentary on the day’s affairs. It would be all about car troubles, near-collisions, traffic jams and declining a young woman’s plea to make a regular subscription to her charity. Tedious stuff. Oh, and I went to see Rob at the theatre, but it was his day off as usual.

One affair that did strike me as interesting, however, was the one related by a mechanic I was talking to.

It seems he knew two young men in their early twenties who were close friends. One began a clandestine affair with the other one’s mother, and the poor woman died – literally – in flagrante. Shocks all round, I should think, and I gather it placed some considerable degree of strain on the young men’s friendship.

I think there might, after all, be something to be said for my more idealistic attitude to such matters.

No comments: