Saturday 26 November 2011

Arboreal Danse Macabre.

One thing I’ve learned from this recent habit of taking nocturnal walks is that they’re almost as varied as the daytime ones. The main feature of tonight’s ramble was the heavy, starless sky and the strong, gusting wind. And what that produced was a rare treat for the imagination. It was fun to watch the rhythmical swaying of the skeletal trees and the co-ordinated swinging of their fleshless branches. Only the pizzicato strings were missing, and they were easy to imagine.

And I saw that movement in my peripheral vision again – twice. This time I didn’t switch the torch on, but searched the darkness of the hedgerows and verges, trying to spot some shimmer or other evidence of a presence. Nothing, I’m afraid, but I did speak in the hope of persuading it to show itself. One of these days, maybe.

Tonight’s mantra: I’m only as mad as I think I am.

No comments: