Tuesday 29 November 2011

Illusions.

I went to post a letter a little while ago. The rain had passed over, the wind had eased and the sky was beginning to clear in the west. The sun was out and hanging a little way above the horizon. It was a deep yellow colour, and the wet, meandering lane ahead of me had turned into a giant, golden snake.

-------------------------------------

There’s an old British red telephone box on the village green next to the post box, and there was a British Telecom engineer measuring the door. I enquired after his business, and he told me he was planning to build a facsimile of such a box in his bathroom and needed accurate measurements. He said he was going to paint a mural inside it so that, when the light was on, it would look like somebody using the phone in the box.

‘My girlfriend thinks I’m mad,’ he said.

I told him that creative people always get called mad at some time or other. I was impressed. A creative telecoms engineer. Whatever next?

No comments: