Thursday 17 November 2011

Getting What You Wish For.

When I was a kid there was something about my mother that used to irritate me immensely: the pointless response. I would say something like ‘I’m glad auntie Joyce came today,’ and she would reply ‘Are you?’

I would have accepted:

‘Oh.’

‘Why?’

‘So am I.’

‘Are you really, Jeffrey? That’s nice.’

...etc, etc. But ‘Are you?’ I used to remonstrate with her: ‘I just told you I am. Why are you questioning what I said?’ I know now that it was just one of those conventional devices we use in the process of communication, but I was terribly rational as a kid and it got on my nerves. It was one of many things that had me craving independence from the age of about twelve onwards.

So here I am, long since independent and now wishing for a pair of gentle, caring, ladies hands to massage liniment into these stiff and painful trapezius muscles. And is there a pair to be found?

No comments: