Sunday 20 November 2011

Early Learning.

When I was a boy, radio shows were still full of songs from the classic ballad era, and one of them was called Dance, Ballerina, Dance by Nat King Cole. I remember, even as a young child, being struck – enthralled, no less – by the line:

Once you said
His love must wait its turn
You wanted fame instead
I guess that’s your concern
We live and learn.

I remember having an image of a woman whose priorities were shallow and short sighted. I remember seeing her as someone lacking both sensitivity to her own deeper needs, and compassion for her lover’s. I wondered how anybody could be so weak and superficial as to forfeit love for mere wealth and fame.

I suppose I made an inner promise to myself, even at that very tender age, never to make the same mistake. And I never have.

No comments: