Thursday 5 May 2011

Two Mysteries.

The garden mystery:

If there’s one vegetable that defines the difference between mass produced and home grown, it’s the carrot. There’s little comparison between real carrots and the tasteless things you get in supermarkets. So, ever since I’ve lived here, I’ve been trying to grow my own carrots. The first year I had a few, but since then something odd has been happening.

The seeds germinate and I soon have a row of little seedlings. Then they disappear. All of them. I’ve asked a few people about this and they suggest that the culprits are either birds, slugs or small rodents. This year I made a small cold frame out of some old wood and glass I had lying around, put it in the greenhouse and sowed two rows of carrots. The seeds germinated as usual, and then disappeared as usual. The cold fame is impervious to birds, slugs and small rodents. So what’s happening to my carrots?

The computer mystery:

I clicked on Bookmarks earlier today, meaning to view one of my regular websites. The fly-out menu didn’t drop down. Instead, the site I had meant to select opened. How the hell can that happen? Is my computer reading my mind now?

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Strange about the carrots. And strange about the computer.

I feel about tomatoes the way you do about carrots.

JJ said...

Agreed. Supermarket tomatoes are awful unless you pay the much higher price to get ones on the vine.