Sunday 8 May 2011

Even More Bits.

I suppose it’s OK being somebody’s plaything as long as you know what’s going on and when to stop it going on.

--------------------

Number three on my list of must do’s in my next life:

Learn how to make poteen while I’m young enough to get the full benefit. Why? Because it’s cheap, very cheap. That’s the point isn’t it? No excise duty. So imagine my surprise when I googled it and discovered you can buy some called ‘Knockeen’ at £57.55 a bottle! Seems to me there’s bit of Irish irony going on here. I prefer my Irish humour traditional!

--------------------

It’s funny, isn’t it, how you can write something that sounds perfectly good when you’re in one mood, and then you read it later and it’s the most mind-numbing crap? I wrote a poem tonight and read it an hour later. Thank the saints I didn’t post that one.

--------------------

So then I got:

The scotch is what I like the most
I like it more than buttered toast
Or sailing round the Galway coast
With Merrow maiden for my host.

I decided I was being unrealistic. The Merrow maiden just might persuade me. If they have green hair, I wonder what colour eyebrows they have...

---------------------

It’s official. My favourite spring weather is warm, cloudy, muggy and drizzly. It was like that when I sat in the garden for an hour this evening. And I had a wild rabbit visitor. I love wild rabbits.

---------------------

Right, time to start on the Sainsbury’s own brand scotch. Since ladies’ legs became a thing of memory, I’ve had to fall back on music, wild birds and the barley brew for my raison d’etre. Feel free to sympathise.

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

I have a whole video on how to make poitin, and the history of it, all in Irish. It was a grand thing to watch, my dad's fast was in a twist the whole time after remembering the taste of the stuff.

There is a small family of rabbits living in Joe's back garden. I really do love rabbits. They avoid our house because of the dogs, but every year at his house we watch the babies grow, and it's one of the things I look forward to every spring.

JJ said...

Kaetlyn:

1) I used the anglicised spelling so as not to sound pretentious. You're OK; you speak the language.
2) 'my dad's fast was in a twist...' Is that an Irish expression or an American one?
3) Then you go and call it 'Joe's back garden,' as we do, instead of 'Joe's back yard.'
4) We seem to be on the same page regarding animals. I thought that when you wrote what you did about the birds and the gorse fires. I had a horrible experience a couple of years ago with rats and baby rabbits. I included it in the novel.