Tuesday 3 May 2011

Like Minds.

There was a re-run of an Inspector Morse episode on the TV the other day. It was one of my favourites because it contained two of the best lines in the whole series.

Morse is trying to get to the bottom of a cover up being perpetrated by a bunch of conservative Christian clerics at an Oxford college. At one point he says to his sergeant

It isn’t their faith that troubles me, Lewis, it’s their certainty.

Later, the chief zealot tells Morse that God will forgive him, to which my favourite TV detective replies

Your God wouldn’t have anything to do with the likes of me. At least, I hope he wouldn’t.

I don’t think I need elaborate.

5 comments:

Della said...

I knew you reminded me of someone...

JJ said...

You don't know the half of it, Della. Before Helen and I lived together, she used to come over to my house on Saturday nights while I was working at the theatre, just to watch Morse on my TV. She said it was like watching me. Ha! I've changed a bit since then; I'm not so into high culture as he was.

Della said...

Really? Funny. I enjoyed the series but sometimes found the lead character morose which actually you don't come across as being (at least in the written word!). The end bugged me too, but then, I'm not a big fan of reality.

JJ said...

Well, I've always had a playful side that Morse lacked, but I think the thing that set the series apart from other cop dramas was the emotional range of the main character. The morose, irascible, intolerant, even pompous character that functioned on the surface was often a cover for an underlying nature that was kind, compassionate, sensitive, lonely and emotionally vulnerable. I thought John Thaw brought all those qualities out brilliantly, which is why Colin Dexter had it written into the contract that nobody else should be allowed to play Morse during his lifetime.

Della said...

Oh yes, John Thaw absolutely captured that emotional depth, he was brilliant.