Wednesday 11 May 2011

(Nearly) the World's Worst Consumer.

I have a problem. Both pairs of shoes that I used to wear to walk around the lanes are now in such bad condition that they’re only fit for gardening. And I don’t want to wear the good pair that I use when I go to town because I don’t want to wear them out. I decided that I really needed to get myself a pair of decent walking shoes.

So I went into the three outdoor leisure shops in Ashbourne today. I don’t usually go into those places because people like me aren’t in the habit of buying the kind of expensive stuff they sell. Needs must, however, so in I went.

The cheapest I could find were £27.99. Oh dear. £27.99 sounds like an awful lot of money to me. I’ve spent so many years cutting my expenditure to the bone and still getting into debt just to survive that I’ve become mega-frugal to a manic degree. I simply cannot spend money. So did I buy the shoes? Nope. I didn’t even go into the little coffee shop that’s opened, the one with an outdoor garden where you can sit in the sunshine, because that seemed like an unwarranted luxury too.

What people find odd about this is that I think nothing of spending £16 on a bottle of scotch. Well, as I think I said in an earlier post, scotch belongs on my list of essential groceries. Or you can call it essential medication if you like. That’s allowable.

The big news, however, is:

SAINSBURY’S HAVE ONION RINGS AGAIN.

I bought a bag. 58p. It wasn’t easy, but I did it.

2 comments:

Nuutj said...

I think selecting/shopping stuffs reflects people's value. Everyone has good reasons to buy specific stuffs they like.

In my case, I don't spend much money on clothes or cosmetics. But I didn't hesitate to buy a piano which is 100 times more expensive.

JJ said...

And mine is something to numb the senses, Mei-shan. They're too easily shaken these days.