Monday 16 May 2011

Back to Real Life.

After the heady stuff of the last few days, I think I’ll lighten up and make a little Greyville post for a change.

There have been two interesting statistics published in the British press recently.

1) The top 0.1% of British earners saw their incomes rise by 64% over a period of eleven years. In the same period, the incomes of the bottom 50% of earners went up by just 3%. No comment needed there, I think.

2) Last year, 40% of graduates were forced to take non-graduate standard jobs, up from 30% the previous year. And when you consider that the definition of ‘graduate standard’ has been greatly devalued over the last twenty years or so, the real figure is obviously a lot higher. I was pleased to see it because it vindicated what I’ve been saying for a long time: that the modern mania for extended higher education is ultimately pointless.

Ah, but there’s a bit more to it than that. These two sets of statistics are actually related. I can’t be bothered to explain how because the whole thing is boring me. What I’m sure of, however, is that when the politicians and pundits discuss them, they will treat them separately. And so they’ll miss the point as they always do.

I take comfort from the fact that the grey stalwarts of the Greyville Establishment have no power whatsoever over the colourful land that lies beyond their grubby kingdom.

-------------------------------------

Right then, the next post will be the Bad Dream post. It could be a little more interesting than you think, because a remarkable young person from Pennsylvania just might have won her wings from the Rabbi Blue angel academy today.

No comments: