Friday 13 May 2011

The Shallow End of Understanding.

I just read the Sky News report about a British woman murdered in a Tenerife supermarket. It seems that a homeless Bulgarian man stabbed her, decapitated her, and then walked out of the store carrying her head.

This is utterly shocking, of course it is. But it seems to me that there’s obviously some serious psychological, or probably psychiatric, condition behind such an action, some form of insanity that is not peculiar to Bulgarians or homeless people. So dare I say that I find a few of the comments made by members of the public almost as disturbing as the event itself? They included:

Is there no depth to which evil people will descend?

They really need to do something about the homeless in Tenerife. They keep trying to sell you dodgy sunglasses. It’s really annoying.

And probably the best of all:

This is what membership of the EEC brings you!

I wonder whether I would be a happier person if my view of life were as simple as that.

No comments: