Monday 9 May 2011

Eden and Avalon.

I was doing a few jobs in my greenhouse earlier and I took to watching the insects going about their business. It seemed that I had created a world for them to live in, a sort of Garden of Eden if you like. And then I thought about my recent experiences with the landscape and the essence of nature, the reality that I have come to think of as Avalon.

It struck me that Eden is a place where we play at being God, like children playing with toy cars and dolls. It’s a place that leads us to look inwards and backwards. Avalon, on the other hand, is where the God within us looks outwards, and gives us a glimpse of the road home.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Jeff, that has to be the most beautiful metaphor and philosophy I've ever heard you say. Maybe the insects will start singing your praises, when they do, I want to know about it...

JJ said...

Oh dear, Wendy. Better get their leader to a meeting on top of an ant hill or something, so I can hand down the One Commandment:

'If thou ever start singing my praises, verily shall I go well and truly off thee. The Lord thy God is just this guy, you know?'

Maria Sondule said...

Interesting. I don't know a lot about Avalon but I kinda agree with you about Eden.

JJ said...

Just the latest milepost on the road of trying to understand, Maria. To me, Avalon is what you find when you look beyond the material facade of nature.