Sunday 1 May 2011

New Beginnings?

For some time now I’ve had the feeling that there are new beginnings afoot. They came to a bit of a peak last night with the Beltane fire.

This morning I opened my living room curtains to find a cock pheasant staring back at me. He was standing on the forsythia that grows under the window sill. I’ve never seen that before, and he didn’t flee as pheasants usually do when they’re disturbed. He just stood there looking at me. When I opened the office curtains I saw that the greenhouse door was open. It wasn’t open last night when I fetched the wood for the fire, and it closes with a bolt. And then I noticed the oddest thing. The path and lawn had autumn leaves on them. Not the brown, long-shrivelled things that are still lying under the hedgerows, but fresh yellow ones. Proper autumn leaves. And I moved into this house on 2nd May 2006, so today marks precisely the end of my first five years in this house. All mere coincidence, I suppose.

Nevertheless, I’m nervous. Trying not to be. No point.

No comments: