Tuesday 3 May 2011

Suspicions and Switching Off.

The more I hear about this bin Laden business, the more suspicious I become. I keep thinking of the things that haven’t added up down the years, and the things that have been, and continue to be, just a little too convenient. I start thinking about the different methodologies applied to exercise rule by fear in a dictatorship compared with the more subtle form of rule by fear in a democracy. And then I stop myself because I’m becoming irritated. I can’t prove any of this; all I can have is suspicions. And those suspicions aren’t going to change anything, so what’s the point of getting concerned?

It goes further. I get irritated with myself for taking anything seriously. Why do I get hot under the collar over questions like God, politics, the educational system, the wealth gap..? I find myself trying to get back to another strong suspicion I have: that all of these things and more belong to some form of illusion that I’m trying to get through as best I can on the way to moving beyond it.

So I’m suspending the rants for the time being. I doubt it will last long.

Just one little non-ranting suspicion, however. I’ve little doubt that Osama bin Laden will soon become another Elvis.

No comments: