Thursday 19 May 2011

Frustration All Round.

I’m trying to awaken the part of me that counts patience among its virtues. I’ve asked him to step up to the plate and bat for a while. He’s thinking about it.

In the meantime, I’ve started to feel frustrated about Wuthering Heights again. It’s bothering me that the world continues to see the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine in an obviously inaccurate way. There are enough clues in the book, for heaven’s sake. It feels like Emily’s ghost is shaking my arm again. ‘Tell them. Tell them again. Tell it in terms of colour seekers and Greyville, if you like. It isn’t entirely apposite, but it’s better than people thinking that Cathy and Heathcliff were romantic lovers.’ Emily, dear heart, I’m one small voice in a world of six billion people. What do you want me to do?

And while I’m touching on the subject of mysticism, I might refer you to the post The Short Version again, item 6. Now I’m thinking it likely that there’s a fourth explanation. I think there might be a karmic dance going on, one that involves at least three people trying to balance out something awful that happened last time around. If you think that makes me even madder than I was yesterday, feel free.

3 comments:

andrea kiss said...

http://bronteblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/brontes-juvenilia-had-love-triangles.html

I do agree with you about Wuthering Heights. Thought you may like this blog. There are a lot of good resources provided.

andrea kiss said...

Oh, and i meant to say, i think Kate Bush got it right in her song Wuthering Heights. I may post the video from YouTube and a cover of it i really like.

JJ said...

Maybe I should drop it, Andrea. I think I'm fighting my own losing battle.