Friday 20 May 2011

A Question to Which I Don't Expect an Answer.

I’m becoming increasingly aware lately that there are two very different versions of me.

There’s the outer me, the logical one based on reason. It’s the me who knows when he was born, how he’s spent his life so far, and what appears in the mirror hanging on the wall. This is the me the left brain sees, the me of past experience. You might even say it’s the Greyville me.

Then there’s the inner me, the more enduring one based on instinct. It’s the one who forgets when he was born, who thinks of life in terms of the future rather than the past, and who sees an entirely different image reflected from the inner mirror. This is the right brain me, the me of present and future experience, the colour seeker.

This is sometimes a problem because the outer me knows what he can expect, but the inner me knows what he wants. They’re not the same and the result is inner conflict.

I know I’m not the only person to have this problem; I’ve heard others refer to it, too. So the question we have, and which is maybe unanswerable in simple terms, is: which version do other people see? Well, it’s pretty obvious that the vast majority of people will see the outer one, only occasionally getting a glimpse of the other. But is it just possible that the odd individual here and there, someone so intuitive and in touch with the right brain, maybe somebody who is also an obsessive colour seeker, will naturally bypass the obvious in favour of the more subtle view? Did TS Elliot just have the rarest piece of luck, or is the phenomenon a little less uncommon than we believe?

No comments: