Sunday 15 May 2011

In the Light of a New Day.

I intended to delete the last post this morning. It was written in one of those awful moments when this fragile mind was drunk on both alcohol and the agonising sense of loss that the drink was failing to ameliorate. I especially intended to delete the last two lines because they could easily be construed to carry a meaning that was never intended. But it attracted comments - which I haven’t read yet and I’m not sure that I want to - and it’s always been my policy never to delete posts that have been commented on. It seems disrespectful to the people who took the trouble to make those comments.

So let me just say this instead. I’m under no illusion that anybody out there in the blogosphere cares a hoot about my life or my state of mind. Few of us have the capacity or will even to sympathise, let alone empathise, with somebody we’ve never met and are never going to meet. (I do occasionally, but that’s my problem.)

And so the general comment that’s worth making is that all forms of adversity have some value. It’s often said that adversity makes us stronger, but I don’t think it necessarily does. Being burned doesn’t lessen the pain of any future exposure to fire, does it? What it does do, however, at least in most cases, is teach lessons. And so it is with this. I now have a better understanding of one little problem that afflicts certain people, and that means there’s one more aspect of the human condition about which I shall feel less inclined to be judgemental in future. That’s good, yes?

That’ll do.

No comments: