Tuesday 11 January 2011

Mad Jeffrey.

I think I’ve discovered something interesting about myself. I think I get temporary bouts of mild insanity from time to time, like last night. I told Helen that and she was pleased because she gets them as well. We’re all mad.

(We Brits, by the way, tend not to use ‘mad’ to mean ‘angry’ as Americans do. We mostly use it to mean ‘nuts.’)

So, this is evidently why I like Mad Gerald so much.

‘Good morning, Gerald. How are you today? Are you mad?’

‘Yes, I’m quite mad, thank you.’

This is a very liberating realisation. It explains a lot. And it’s actually quite fun, in a harmless sort of way. And do you know what? The upshot of these bouts of mild insanity is that I get a new sense of clarity about something or other. Today’s example (after last night’s bout) was an understanding of the practical value of vengeance, coupled with its inherent worthlessness. Vengeance only serves any purpose in a highly immature culture, which, let’s face it, is mostly what the world consists of.

So, you may take it as official. Jeffrey is quite mad, thank you, happy to be so, and convinced that the best people mostly are.

4 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Perhaps you ought to check out the wonderful fiddle/accordion/concertina combination on Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh and Brenden Begley's album "Moment of madness". Perhaps even listen to it in a moment of madness.

Happens to me all the time! Brilliant music, truthfully, and I do seriously recommend it.

JJ said...

But where would I get hold of it, Kaetlyn? My budget doesn't stretch to buying CDs at the price they are nowadays, and I even have to restrict my visits to YouTube until post-midnight because of my small bandwith allownace between 8 am - midnight.

Glad you number among the ranks of the loonies, though. I would have guessed as much.

KMcCafferty said...

Well, if ever the moment comes when you're feeling mad enough to send a stranger your address, you may happen to find one in your post in the days that follow.

JJ said...

Kaetlyn! What a lovely lady! You already have my address on the story file I sent you. If you've lost or deleted it, I'll gladly send it again. That's if your guardian sidhe will permit it, of course.