Sunday 9 January 2011

Oh Dear! I'm Going to Get Nuked.

Another little American aside while I’m in the mood.

I saw Rich Hall in a televised stage show over Christmas. I like Rich Hall, especially when he talks about the culture of Montana. I met a very strange woman from Montana once. I lost count of the number of times she said ‘But I haven’t seen you naked, so I wouldn’t know.’ Was she trying to tell me something? She will be forever ingrained in my mind as the typical Montana Woman, but I digress.

So, Rich remarks upon the fact that one of the British banknotes has a picture of Charles Darwin on the reverse, and suggests it couldn’t possibly happen in America.

‘In God We Trust next to a picture of Charles Darwin.’

And then he does the look. Yup, that’s funny.

6 comments:

Nuutj said...

Was that woman from Montana trying to seduce you ? Wonder how old she was then.

Charles Darwin on American banknote sounds cool.

JJ said...

I had the impression she was sort of making the offer, Mei-shan. Ordinarily I would have explored further, but it just happened to be the worst winter of my life. Dear Helen had gone AWOL and I wasn't handling it. I think Ms Montana was 25. She was doing a post-grad course at a university near where I lived.

But don't you see why Charles Darwin isn't very likely to appear on an American Banknote?

Jeanne said...

I think it would be a great idea to put Darwin on an American dollar! And then donate the dollar to a church!

JJ said...

You subversive, you! This is what comes of allowing Sagittarians free speech.

Nuutj said...

Jeanne's comment about church made me think of people here.

People claimed to fight against monarchy in Thailand recieved banknotes with the pictures of kings printed on them.

It's funny.

JJ said...

'The time has come,' the Walrus said,
'To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing wax -
Of cabbages and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot -
And whether pigs have wings.'

All illusion.