Thursday 27 January 2011

Going Into the Mists of Avalon.

I’ve been a big fan of the Arthurian story – both the Romantic tradition and the quest for an historical basis – most of my life. It seems odd that I should have got this far without even having been aware of The Mists of Avalon, let alone having read it. But now, on the recommendation of somebody I greatly respect, I’m putting that omission to rights.
 
I’m only a little way into it at the moment, but so far it’s proving quite a revelation. Setting the story in Dark Age Britain is nothing new, of course. It’s always been known that Mallory set his 15th century collection in contemporary times, and that any attempt to marry the Romantic canon with historical speculation would mean taking the story back a thousand years. Several films and TV adaptations have done that. What I find so interesting about this book are two things.
 
Firstly, it’s told from the women’s point of view. The classic Arthurian tradition is strictly male-dominated, in which the female characters are either minor, fatally flawed, evil, or isolated. The women in this book are central; they command respect; they are in control. I suppose a point to note here is that the spiritual context of the classic version is axiomatically Christian, and so it would seem natural to echo the treatment of women that predominates in the Bible. And that brings me to what I find most interesting of all.
 
This version of the story has as one of its central themes, so far at least, the clash between the pagan Old Ways and the ‘new’ Christianity. Although not spitefully anti-Christian, it certainly nods in the direction of a wider view of spirituality. For this reason, I’m glad in a way that I didn’t find the book earlier in my life. A lot of the conflicts between the two traditions are central to my own thinking now, and I wonder whether I would have understood them so readily when I was younger.
 
And I have to make mention of one deviation from the norm that impressed me most of all. In the classic version, Uther is an essentially unsavoury character who beds the unwitting Lady Igraine through trickery, and thus impregnates her with the future Arthur. In this version it transpires that the two of them have been constant lovers through many lifetimes, soul mates almost, and so their union has an ethical validity that transcends moralistic judgement. This is surely a much better genesis for the ‘once and future king.’ Little short of genius, I would say.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

The Mists of Avalon is my all time favorite book. #1. I adore it. Hope you enjoy!

There is a movie adaptation as well, with Angelica Houston. Its a bit disappointing though.

JJ said...

I'll let you know when I've finished if you like, Andrea. It's already struck me as good film material, but I think the deeper aspects of it might not transfer easily, and probably wouldn't be commercially successful.

andrea kiss said...

Yes, do. One thing about the book is that it seems so authentic... while reading it i could almost convince myself that what i was reading was THE TRUE STORY, if there is such a thing... Arthurian i mean...

JJ said...

I know. That's something I'm finding interesting so far. The Romantic canon is so bound up with fiction, folklore and esoterica brought into a single narrative that the historical quest is viewed as an entirely separate subject. Any conclusions will always be speculative, of course, since there are no known contemporary written references to Arthur, only some later folk stories and a bit of external corroboration. She does seem to be giving it a very good shot, though. Early days; I'm only up to about page 70-something.