Thursday 13 January 2011

...Now Reanimated...

See the last post.

So, the question of women’s breasts. Why do we see them as objects of sexual arousal? We do, don’t we? I do, although only very slightly these days. So why?

They’re nothing to do with sex. They’re just bags for holding milk because babies can’t eat solid food for a while. If babies could eat Mars bars from Day 1, women wouldn’t have them, would they? They don’t even come at the end of the sex-pregnancy-childbirth line. Their practical application is post-the whole thing. It seems to me they’re no more relevant to sex than bladders or bowels. And yet men get aroused by them. Why? Because our culture, with its arbitrary and rather silly notions of ‘morality,’ insists that they have to be kept hidden except to sexual partners. This isn’t true of other, simpler cultures that are more in tune with nature. Their women have no qualms about showing their breasts and nobody gives a damn. So why do we choose to make them objects of sexual arousal, create an unquestioned axiom around the fact, and then build arguments on it? I really don’t know.

And then, having created this implausible prejudice, we get even sillier. Barrack room psychologists tell us that men who like big breasts have a mother fixation, while men who like small ones are closet homosexuals. I’ll make an earth-shattering admission now, shall I? I’ve always preferred small breasts, and I can guarantee that I’m 100% hetero. I simply find large breasts untidy and – well – a bit ‘obvious.’ I prefer a modicum of subtlety, that’s all.

I’m hoping somebody is going to give me a clever answer to this question. One I can believe.

6 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Personally, if it were fashionable to walk around with my breasts hanging out, I would still wear sweaters and shirts. It's cold!
And I've always found it stupid when men make fun of women for their breast size, or refuse to date them for such a silly characteristic.
So here's my comment:
Oy Vey.

Wendy said...

I know you know about "archetypes" which is how I view most of the world and if you think about a woman's breasts they really can be connected to the "mother" but the "Great Mother" the primordial Goddess that lives in all of us. The nurturing aspect of all that the true feminine can be connected with whether she's a literal mother or not. Doesn't everyone, women and men want that bringer of life to give us the milk of the universe? Some people are obviously more drawn to that aspect of "the mother" and people who are unconscious make it just an object/plaything instead of appreciating them, both on the spiritual and physical level. I love my breasts, do I fantasize about them or other womens? No, but I do feel powerful when I think of my connection to the Goddess. It's the same to me at least as the divine phallus that is worshipped as the co-creator in many cultures. And the sad part is that women who compare their breasts to other womens forget that they have just as much beauty as their larger breasted sisters. I'm not "small" or "large" but that doesn't really matter. That's my take on it...

JJ said...

Maria: An obvious question presents itself, but maybe I shouldn't ask it. And I never did know for certain what 'oy vey' meant.

Wendy: That may be true, but I still think the tittilation is a shallow, cultural attitude stemming from a shallow, literal interpretation of the Adam and Eve myth.

KMcCafferty said...

I think about this all the time, honestly, and it puzzles me to no end.

Jfromtheblock said...

Truly, perhaps men just like what they don't have? There'd be no fuss at all if the attractive male had characteristic manboobs. It's probably just a fascination started by men who don't get enough access to sex.

And I suppose also because breasts are feminine. Women might care more about it than men actually, feeling incomplete or unconfident. And they're the ones who think that's what men want.

I was writing a paper on sexual attraction before I got bored of it. Apparently men dictate what is attractive in women by making women dress and strive to appear what they think is attractive to men, not necessarily what is.

But personally, I do love breasts. Such a pity.

JJ said...

Do you, Kaetlyn? How interesting.

Jen: all I can say is that most of what women do to make themselves attractive doesn't attract me. But then, I'm mad.

I'm feeling uneasy with these comments. As the only male, I have this sense that I shouldn't be here.