Saturday 22 January 2011

Curiouser and Curiouser.

So, here’s the big question. Do I have a dedicated fan out there somewhere?

Following hot on the heels of the last post, Feedjit now reports that somebody from the UK came to my blog by searching JJ Beazley is a bloviating ninny. Two facts are immediately apparent:

Whoever this person is, some character called JJ Beazley is significant to them – or else why bother?

Whoever this person is, he or she obviously has an impressive vocabulary. The verb ‘to bloviate’ appears neither in my Oxford English Dictionary (the short, two-volume edition,) Roget’s Thesaurus, nor the thesaurus in my version of Word.

I’d be interested to know what it means, assuming it actually exists as a recognised word. So please enlighten me if you know.

8 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Maybe its someone who regularly reads your blog and knows that you keep track of your visitors and how they find your site. They are playing a joke on you...

JJ said...

I am coming to think there's a joke involved, Andrea, especially as the latest is 'JJ Beazley works for the Ballsworthy Detective Agency,' but it doesn't accord with the Feedjit information. I take it you don't know what 'bloviating' means?

Anyway, it's an old subject now. It's dropped.

Anonymous said...

"To bloviate" means to talk bombastically; at length in a pompous and self-aggrandizing manner.
It originated in the mid 19th century - specifically in 1857 - a mock Latin modification of the word "blow" with the suffix "viate." One could assume it wasn't a particularly popular word as by late 19th century it was considered outdated slang. It was resurrected during the 2000 US election season.

JJ said...

Many thanks, Anon. A new word is always a welcome addition to the family.

andrea kiss said...

Ballsworthy Detective Agency? That is too funny! I'd never heard the word bloviate before. If it is any comfort i do not consider you a bloviant by any means ;o)

JJ said...

Thank you, Andrea. You're today's angel (as defined by Rabbi Blue.)

I have a feeling that The Ballsworthy Detective Agency has something to do with Douglas Adams, but Google is vague.

Bloviant? Bloviator? Who knows?

Anthropomorphica said...

I couldn't find it either, but now I know thanks to Anon. Hmmmm, methinks Anon knows a little too much...
You do make me laugh Jeff, so glad you posted this!

JJ said...

I thought you might know the Ballsworthy Detective Agency, Mel. I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before.